Business License

Business License

Thank you for choosing to locate your business in the City of Stanton. The information provided is designed to assist you in the process of obtaining a business license and other permits which may be necessary for the operation of your business.

Who Needs a Business License?

  • Any individual, corporation, or sole proprietor who wishes to conduct business within the City.
  • Any business which changes location from one area of the City to another.
  • Before you begin operating, please contact the Administrative Services Department to discuss the details of your particular business operation. It is also important to inquire about City zoning requirements for your type of business and its planned location from the Planning Department.

How Do I Get a Business License?

To obtain a Business License, follow these steps:

  • Talk to the Planning Department to determine if your proposed business is consistent with the zoning code.
  • Obtain a business license application packet from the Administrative Services Department.
  • Begin the Investigation For Compliance (IFC) by obtaining approval signatures from all relevant departments.
  • Submit any needed tenant improvement plans to the Planning and Building Department.
  • Submit a sign permit application to the Planning Department.
  • After the required signatures have been obtained for the IFC, bring the complete IFC form to Administrative Services. A business license will then be issued once all appropriate fees have been paid.
  • For additional information about the fee schedule, please contact Administrative Services.

What Information Do I Need?

To apply for a Business License, you will need the following:

  • Company name (DBA or other form of ownership) and address.
  • Name(s) of owner(s) or officer(s).
  • Federal employer identification number or social security number.
  • Floor plan and description of business activities.
  • A valid driver’s license number (if applicable).
  • Reseller’s permit number (if applicable).
  • State contractor’s number (if applicable).
  • Articles of incorporation (if applicable).

What Other Permits Do I Need?

Besides a Business License, you may also need to:

  • Obtain a Seller’s Permit (Retail Sales Tax Number) from the State Board of Equalization if your business involves the sale of tangible personal property, either retail or wholesale. They can be reached at (714) 558-4059.
  • Contact the Internal Revenue Service at (800) 829-1040 for a Federal Employer Identification Number.
  • Contact the State Employment Development Department (714) 288-2601 to obtain a State Employer Identification Number if needed.
  • Contact the Franchise Tax Board at (800) 852-5711 if you intend to have employees or to obtain Form 540 for estimating state withholding tax for yourself.
  • Contact the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board at (714) 558-4101 if you plan to sell or serve alcoholic beverages.
  • Contact the Orange County Health Care Agency at (714) 667-3600 if you plan to prepare and/or sell food of any type.


City Of Stanton

7800 Katella Avenue, Stanton, CA 90680
(714) 379-9222